Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Does the Right Hate Israel as Much as the Left?



Michael

One of my tendencies on this blog is to focus on progressive-left anti-Semitic anti-Zionism because it has made a home for itself within progressive left venues, just the kind of venues that I used to frequent.

My major concern, which I often repeat, is not that "progressives" as a group are anti-Semitic, but that they don't get it, they don't care, and they very much want you to shut the fuck up.

My evidence for asserting that anti-Semitic anti-Zionism has made a home for itself within progressive-left venues is primarily large, well-attended progressive-left venues such as Daily Kos, the Huffington Post, and the UK Guardian. I tend to focus heavily on Daily Kos because I was a member there and because, since it has around 300,000 registered users, it represents one home for mainstream Democrats. People seeking to downplay progressive-left anti-Semitic anti-Zionism will sometimes tell me that Daily Kos is merely "fringe," but taken together with the HuffPost and the Guardian and Yale and Harvard and UPENN and many, many other universities and Israel hating NGOs, not to mention certain European governments, it is obvious that my assertion is correct.

The progressive-left is the contemporary home for anti-Semitic anti-Zionism.

I sometimes am told, however, that this is not just a "progressive" problem, but a problem on the right, as well. While it is true that the hard fringy right does contain neo-Nazis and skinheads, conservatives, since William F. Buckley, have done a good job in marginalizing such groups. While the progressive-left has embraced their anti-Semitic racists... horrendously enough in the name of "human rights"... the conservative-right has distanced themselves from their own.

This is my assertion. It is either correct or it is incorrect.

If it is incorrect I would expect that someone would be able to point to any number of mainstream, well-attended conservative journals or blogs wherein anti-Semitic anti-Zionism is a regular feature as we see on the more or less mainstream "progressive" journals listed above. That being the case I am hoping that if it is true that this problem is as much on the right as it is on the left, then someone should be able to provide some significant evidence to that effect.

Show me a large circulation, mainstream journal on the right that features the kind of Israel hatred and anti-Semitic anti-Zionism that we see on a daily basis on the left.

If I am wrong, then show me.

{In the mean time I will not hold my breath.}

2 comments:

  1. "Show me a large circulation, mainstream journal on the right that features the kind of Israel hatred and anti-Semitic anti-Zionism that we see on a daily basis on the left."

    Won't find it because it doesn't exist. Shame on the left for that being the case. Of course purging that part of the voter base would likely eviscerate the Democratic party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about Jewish people, or perhaps diaspora Jews, that we tend to think of our best friends as enemies and our enemies as our friends?

      It's very, very odd.

      The progressive-left has many, many fine people in it, and some of those people are friends of mine, but the movement, taken as a whole, is not very friendly toward the Jewish state of Israel.

      Yet most American Jews support the left... as did I until fairly recently.

      Further, the best friends that Israel has on the planet, from any objective viewpoint, would be American Evangelicals.

      American Evangelicals fucking love Israel, yet we are constantly told that it's some nefarious crypto-genocidal wish to see Jews burn upon the return of Jesus.

      This is what the progressives tell us about the Evangelicals, but I do not believe that for one second.

      Thus, we support those who do not support us and do not support those who do.

      And that, my friend, is messed up.

      Delete